January 28, 2011

Friday Night at the Movies, or: Other Big Steps

Tonight I did something I have never done before in my whooooole life. I went to a movie. By. My. Self.

I know, it seems silly that this is an event worth writing about, but it was very liberating. I am not a "by myself" kind of girl. Even as an adult, sometimes I literally get anxious when I'm alone. I've let it hold me back in the past, but no more!

Let me set the scene: Luke is sick (these days per usual, poor guy) and has spent the entire day/evening in bed. The kids and I have been alone for the past five days. They are sick of me and they need to be cared for by their dad. Also, mama needs to go somewhere where no one is touching her or watching her go to the bathroom, or CONSTANTLY saying her name over and over and over again...etc.

Usually, I would stay home, watch TV or a movie. Watching my entire weekend fall apart with yet another sick family Friday night. (pardon the slight drama). Luke would fall asleep around 8:30 and I would be bored and BITTER (for additional reasons, see above paragraph). So to curb any ill feelings, I decided that things have to change.

Tonight, I took myself out. I went to see The King's Speech (which was AWESOME!). I sat by myself and did NOT feel at all uncomfortable or conspicuous. After the movie, I took myself to get some frozen yogurt. The world did not end. Its so funny that something so insignificant sounding could feel so empowering (and yes, I again know that I'm being a bit dramatic). It was a small step for overworked stay at home moms, but a giant leap for me!

I think as a mom I am so used to asking what my kids or husband wants that I forget that I have wants too.

It was a good night.

Peace Out,

Michele

2 comments:

  1. I hope you didn't look creepy sitting there all by yourself! LOL! As an only child you know I love being alone! HAHA!!! But however, you, as a middle...well...we know there are issues! :) Love you Michele!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! Yes, its true-alone is not my natural state! BUT I did so well!

    ReplyDelete